Sunday, November 3, 2013

Sunday morning in the desert.

Okay, Facebook friends, you're right, I should be blogging. What I have to blog about, however, is fewer travelogue adventures, and more internal wanderings and wonderings. And now as I type, KDFC is broadcasting Mozart's Great Mass in C Minor, a work I've had the privilege of singing. Its profound beauty and familiarity brings tears to my eyes deep from my diaphragm. Kyrie eleison, indeed.

You see, I had left my home of nine years rather abruptly. I needed to leave, I'd planned on a two month RV trip anyway, so it occurred to me, why come back at all? For a very long time I've wanted to live and travel in my RV. Here's my chance, might not get another one. A hasty pack-up of all my worldly possessions into a "stuff-coffin" rental storage space, and off I went. However, in a case of "be careful what you wish for," the reality of my life has only some correlation with what I had imagined. For one thing, I had always imagined I'd do this traveling with a partner. Nope.  Big difference. Alone. Who am I, anyway??

At the end of my planned travels, now faced with a completely open itinerary, I became really sick. Now I don't do sick, I rarely come down with anything.But three weeks ago my body just came to a screeching halt. I think, I know it is directly tied to a fresh and immediate awareness of the looming chasm of being alone into the great unknown. Fortunately, after two weeks of misery, a week of amoxicillin has gotten rid of the illness, and my frame of mind has also much improved. Getting out for a walk or a hike helps a lot!

I'm at the end of my second week at an RV park in Benson, Arizona. I have made friends here that I plan to keep in touch with. Thanks for everything, DB. The desert is a remarkable environment, quite out of my normal comfort zone. Last night, the unexpected rain somehow amplified night sounds. There were coyotes quite close by, and the sad bellowing of a steer alternating with coyote cries and yips. I don't think it ended well for the steer. But the creosote smell was powerful and refreshing.

Next I'll be heading to Bisbee, and the Queen Mine RV Park. This park is right on the edge of a large abandoned copper pit mine. Talk about being right at the edge of the looming chasm! Bisbee is a cool little mining town. Its been through its ups and downs, but seems to have recovered from the loss off copper mining, and has turned itself into a quirky artists' colony of sorts.

So, I'm not, I can't, quit just yet, even though I miss my friends and my communities tremendously. More to learn about so many things.
 


1 comment:

  1. The desert adopted me in 1974 and ever since, I long for it when I want solitude and inner space. Thank you for sharing your inner journey; it is rich and deep. Looking forward to a face to face talk during your "visit" to "home"!

    ReplyDelete