Saturday, November 16, 2013

Exploring Bisbee, and a concert.

A weather advisory for high winds is now coming to pass. Nothing quite like being cozied up with a warm computer, listening to the wind gusts having a tussle, and watching heavy clouds sailing majestically towards the northeast. (I like having a compass app in my smartphone, seeing as how I'm directionally challenged.) It looks and feels like it wants to rain, but Weatherbug says only a 30% chance. Too bad, I was hoping for some rain sounds.

Its a perfect day for some gingerbread! Something about all these clouds scudding by that makes me want to turn on the oven. Mise-en-place not so easy in my tiny kitchen, but all's well, cake is in the oven, smelling wonderful. I think I have the ingredients for lemon sauce, too.

I've neglected to tell you that I attended the Bisbee Communty Chorus concert last Saturday night. It was at the Queen Mine visitors center just a few steps away from the RV park, so how could I resist  a concert title of  "A Miner's Life". They did a good job, the programming was interesting and varied, and I learned a few things.


The chorus in miners costume,except for the conductor. 



A dramatic reading of "I Dreamed I Saw Joe Hill Last Night".


Stairs, stairs everywhere. Many follow old mule supply line trails ending who knows where.



Sometimes the stairs follow the contour of flumes built to carry desert monsoon runoff. I can see that this gets to be a problem in a canyon. A flume was originally just an arroyo, the naturally occurring water courses that you want to make sure you stay out of if there is rain anywhere nearby.



New stairs built over the water flume. It looks like something straight out of "The Secret Garden." The black pipe you can see along the side of the flume is natural gas pipeline (gulp!).


These grey pipes snaking their way across the landscape are more gas lines. The building inspector would be having a heart attack.


And finally, here's the gas meter. Who gets to read the meter? Words fail me.


On the way back down the stairs, a little respite for the imagination.


More art, tucked in the landscape.


Staircase #5, 151 steps, part of the Bisbee 1000 race route.


A yarn bomb! First one I've ever seen in the wild. 


Look! Its the RV park, waaaay off in the distance at the right, across the canyon. It gives you a idea of its prominent, yet largely invisible setting. My rig has the blue stripes. Awesome clouds, aye?


1 comment:

  1. Last photo: squint a bit, and there's a VanGogh!
    /s

    ReplyDelete