Saturday, September 14, 2013

Oregon: The laundry won't dry so I had to bake a cake.

If you'll remember that coastal Oregon has a well deserved reputation for being foggy, then this title might start to make more sense. I thought I could fire up my Wave 3 catalytic heater to get the damp laundry dry, but that would not be multitasking the propane. Aha, I can light the oven, make an apple date cake I happen to have the ingredients for, and that will warm and dry the air in the RV, and hopefully, the laundry. See!

Well, it sorta worked. But I was distracted by a periodic ominous rattling of what I assume were the gas lines when the oven was in use. Uh, oh, you don't want the gas lines rattling because there might not be a gas leak now, but movement of gas lines could eventually loosen a fitting, and then I would have a leak. Yes, I have a propane leak detector (and a CO detector) but I think I'll have the oven and its connecting lines looked at when I get to Albuquerque, just to make sure.

Earlier in the day, several of us Ladeze went to watch the Cranberry Festival parade in Bandon. It was a very cute parade.

We spent more time than we thought. The farmers market was small, and hard to find the food booths in amongst the arts and craft booths, but there were several vendors that got me to part with some money. Farm fresh eggs, for one.



Tomorrow, I'm heading inland, toward Crater Lake, where I'll meet up with a couple of other women RVers. We'll stay two nights, then embark on the overland journey through the desert, towards Albuquerque. Yes, we are keeping a wary eye on the weather reports, but I think we'll be okay.

3 comments:

  1. OK, let's have the cranberry recipes! There's an apple tree outside my house, and nobody seems to use the apples, so I may bake a German apple cake with lots of apples! And cranberries would be a nice addition. Crater Lake is amazing, and also located in the middle of NOWHERE, so take your supplies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for farmers markets and warm cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having tasted your good cooking, I know those groceries will be turned into something good.

    ReplyDelete