Friday, September 13, 2013

Establishing New Routines


So, I recently made the decision that in two weeks’ time, I would move out of my home of nine years and go full-timing in my RV. I’ve actually backed into this decision by a rather circuitous route. For quite a long time, I have thought about full-timing in my RV to see the country, National Parks and Monuments, museums, music festivals, sporting events, friends and family, scenic byways, areas of great beauty, areas of historical interest, and so on. I’ve compiled quite a long list over the years. The idea was to enjoy this with a partner, of course: much more fun, better photographs, and a lot easier. However, the X, having decided that marriage was no longer a viable concept, I am forced to reconsider my basic premise. Did I want to do this by myself? Do I want to do all the pink jobs, and all the blue jobs involved in traveling about in a self-contained RV, actually its own little municipality? And I knew I wanted to tow my car, too, which makes for additional driving challenges.

I’d already scheduled a solo trip of limited duration to the Ladeze event, and to the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta again this year.  It occurred to me that I didn't really need to return home by a certain time.  In fact, there was no home to return to. I am not prepared to sign a lease here, or buy a condo there; I’m just not ready to do that. So the option to live full-time in my RV started to look a lot more viable. I had, after all, spent a lot of time thinking about it and planning for it. Opportunity was knocking. When was I going to do it? Later? The famous and often appealed to “Later”? The only thing I really needed to change was my own thinking. The necessary hardware was already in place.

Thus commenced a frantic two week flurry of activity to dismantle one life, and set up for another. All of my things that didn't get consigned or donated are carefully packed and stacked in a storage unit. And yes, now that that’s done, I’m wondering why I kept all that stuff.  J Clothes I thought I’d need for a wide variety of weather have been packed into the RV. Absolutely favorite kitchen utensils, if they were small enough, made the cut. Groceries can be purchased anywhere. Still, one is not aware of all of the routines one develops and relies on, until one is compelled to change them. Laundry, for instance. Or washing dishes. Or internet connectivity. Or being conscious of water consumption.  Purchasing in smaller quantities – no more Costco runs.


Ultimately it is a good thing, a privilege, to gain new and different levels of awareness of all sorts of things, big and little. I hope that no matter how long this trip lasts, short or long, I continue to gain new perspectives on all the details that go to make up a life.    

1 comment:

  1. Wow,Kathy, this contains food for thought for everyone who reads it. Thank you for posting! I experienced some of the same when I downsized from my 3 bedroom house to this 1 bedroom apartment. It takes so few things to make us happy. I hope your trip proves life giving for you; it appears it already has! Much love to you! Sharon

    ReplyDelete