Saturday, April 5, 2014

Galveston, Gulf Coast and Petroleum

My friend the great blue heron returned early morning, in full view this time. I hope that's what it is - a better birder can correct me.



Misty morning departire over the causeway towards Galveston.





The vernacular architecture. I guess sometimes you need a soft-story structure in order to accomodate storm surges. There was mile after mile of this type of house, some of them very grand indeed. (not this one)



Wasn't particularly motivated to visit city stuff, but did enjoy taking the ferry across Galveston Bay. Its a free ten minute ride, once underway. There are five ferry docks and ferries, plying the route. If the ferry can carry this truck, it can carry me and my Lazy Daze.


See my little rig tucked in there cozy as you please?


Selected the Texas Energy Museum in Beaumont for a look at the oil industry view of the oil industry. Beaumont seemed like a ghost town. There was plenty of on street parking right downtown, and I had the museum pretty much to myself.




The museum was small, but very well done and very well funded.  Still, I learned a thing or two. The diorama of how an oil refinery works was interesting. I had no idea.




I was also unaware of the extent that the carbon molecules from petroleum are so almost infinitely malleable into so many different forms that permeate our lives. Chemistry was not my long suit.

The nice lady at the museum was kind enough to discuss my route with me, even calling on her boss to weigh in on my questions. I elected to get back onto Interstate 10, which I've been avoiding for quite awhile. As soon as I got on the freeway, I remembered why. The truck traffic whizzes by my 55 mph self at breakneck speed. Still, it was tolerable, the worst part was the bridge into Lake Charles. Not the widest bridge, especially at rush hour, and especially with large trucks surrounding me. No, I didn't take this photo, too busy driving, found it on the web.



Slept fitfully in the Walmart parking lot in Jennings, Louisiana, listening to the hum of the I-10 traffic a quarter of a mile away. I'm anticipating a quieter time tomorrow in the town of Abbeville, in the heart of Cajun country.


No comments:

Post a Comment