Thursday, January 2, 2014

What happened to December???


Blog entries have taken a back seat during my blitz trip to the Bay Area this past month of December. Soli Deo Gloria's "A Jazzy Little Christmas" concert had me intrigued, and I missed my choir friends, so  after a lovely Thanksgiving with my niece's family, the trusty little house on wheels took a rest in Phoenix, while I drove from Phoenix to Alameda in two days. Made it back in time for the dress rehearsal, then attended both wonderful concerts.

A fellow choir singer kindly offered me a room in their lovely home in Alameda , so I had one place to stay for the duration of my visit. Not to mention that they wined, dined, and concerted me most graciously and made me feel right at home. Thanks R & B so very much!

For choristers, Advent and Christmas are peak singing season. St. Mark's choir, no exception, was in full swing. I loved joining right back in for rehearsals and services, without missing too many beats.

The month was a blur of activity, beyond and outside of the usual Christmas business. Dinner parties, breakfast, lunch, and dinner dates, coffee dates, even a fun sleepover. I loved every minute of it, finding much joy in reconnecting with friends in a new way.

It was, however, time to return to my rolling blue home, and make the two day drive back. At my overnight stop in LA (yes, the traffic was terrible) I had the unexpected and incredible pleasure of reconnecting in person with my high school friend S. We had been carrying on a fast and furious email correspondence during my wanderings. It so happened that my route very nearly intersected with her daughter's house, whom she was visiting, so the meeting just fell into place. We closed the bar at the Holiday Inn. Well, they did close at 8:30 but its fun to be able to say every now and then that you closed the bar.

Back in Phoenix, rig safe and sound at my very generous friend's house, I've now resupplied, restocked, cleaned house, and decamped to the hills west of Phoenix for a solemn and heartfelt farewell to a difficult 2013, and a hopeful welcome to 2014.

And that's what happened to December.

Happy New Year, everybody!  

6 comments:

  1. It was great seeing you, Kathy and spending Christmas day with you! So you have hit the road again, you go, sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. On road to "Q" today with others. See you there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Amazing blog structure! How long have you been blogging for?…I waiting for your next update. Traffic School in Alameda Traditional lessons are preferred by some citizens. In case you see your-self as one of them, you ought to look at the classic options. A 6 to 8 hours class isn't so demanding. You can select either one-day attendance, or you may expand the classes during several days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. [spam alert re above]

    ReplyDelete
  5. S just found your post -- and is delighted to learn the phrase "closing the bar." Is wondering whether it means anything like "crossing the bar"?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Atta girl Kathy! It's sounding like you've hit your stride for a very positive 2014. I'm looking forward to reading of your adventures and hope to cross paths with you soon.

    ReplyDelete